Friday, February 27, 2009

Oh My Goodness....Drama

The life of being an Apt. Manager....Its about 1 AM right now...About an hour ago I heard banging on the office door...so I got up and asked who it was before opening it. It was the police...that's NEVER good. He asked if he could come in...What!!?? Like I'm going to say no! He proceeded to let me know that a tenant has barricaded himself in his townhouse with 3 guns...they got the girlfriend out of there...he had shot the rifle twice, into the unit next to them...so...they have the place surrounded. The swat team is here. They have evacuated all the units around...they have gone through the complex and unscrewed all the outdoor lights. I have given them the keys to the unit. They have been on the bullhorn tell him to come out with his hands up...just like in the movies.
I'm just sick...I heard a gun shot...
This is a nice clean cut young man. Has a gun permit. He just lost his job, I don't know if it was due to something he did, or cutbacks. He is intoxicated.
Its 1:30 now...I'm in the office waiting.
Its now 3 am...two very loud gun shots went off. Lights are flashing. They are now asking him to answer his phone so they can talk to him.
3:15 another loud shot...silence
3"30. lights are on in the unit...canine dog is barking and barking and barking.
4:00 The police are in the unit...The city Fire Department rolls in...and they are taking him out on stretcher an his is alive...Thank goodness!!!! There must be 20 officers. My husband just went out to see if anyone would talk to him
...They let him go in the unit with them. Dean just got back. The police shot out he sliding glass door and let the dog in...the dog is what saved the kid.
It's over and I'm really tired..
*************************************
Oh man!!!.....I just got up (7:00)
The media trucks are outside our front door...

19 comments:

Lori said...

how scary for you!!! i'm glad everything worked out!!!



ps: i am having a giveaway, i hope you will stop over and sign up:)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Wow! We never know from one minute to the next, what is ahead. So thankful that you are okay, and the young man lived. There must be something more ahead for him. By you sharing this, made me appreciate each of my peaceful moments today.

rose said...

oh how scary,you just never know what is around the corner,but glad everyone is okay and the young guy is okay

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're okay. I think, unfortunately, we might be seeing more of this as things worsen.

Betty said...

Wow, I had no idea you lead such an exciting life! Glad you are okay and that things were resolved without a death!

Try to get a little extra rest today...sounds like you could use it!

Sugar Bear said...

Oh my goodness! Sounds very scary. Luckily it is over.
Karla

The Joy of Nesting said...

Yikes Little Miss,

Oh My Goodness is right!!! The sad thing is as things get worse many people begin thinking that suicide is the only answer :( This certainly looks like an attempt of "suicide by cop" Hopefully this young guy will receive the help that he needs.

Take care I'll keep you in my thoughts today :)
Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Patricia said...

First, I am glad you are safe and second - Drama isn't the word for it. I too am an apartment manager for the past ten years - there is never a normal day !!! I have enjoyed my visit to your beautiful blog.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Whoa...that is so scary! Glad you are alright. Glad the young man is alright. Thank God for dogs.
Smiles, Karen

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

That's scary and sad and SCARY! Glad it's OVER!

Four Paws and Co said...

OMG, how terrifying to have the police knocking on your door to discover you have a tenant barricaded inside! I think I'd have a heart attack! I'm happy to hear it turned out well. ☺

Phyllis said...

This must have been very scary for everybody to say the least. You never know when somebody is going through and might "crack".

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Goodness, Laurie! Hope all is well & you can catch up on some sleep tonight!

BiG Hugs,
STephanie
Angelic Accents

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Oh Laurie, what a terrible frightening morning for everyone! I'm so glad it ended more or less peacefully and that the young man is okay and all of you and all your tenants are okay.
hugs
Gail

Adrienne said...

Oh my goodness, Laurie, I'm so sorry you had to deal with something like this. My heart feels for the young man - he must have been so overcome by his circumstances. Thankfully he is alive. Maybe some good will come to him and he will be OK. ~Adrienne~

Anonymous said...

Laurie, It's like what you see on the news...we never think it's going to knock on our door! Oh my! I guess this won't be "over" for awhile - there must be things you have to do as manager. Hopefully, they can get this young man some help. So sad.
Diane

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh my goodness how scary for you and your family. I'm glad the young man is ok physically.. now if he can mentally get back on track.. I'll be saying prayers for him.. hugs ~lynne~

Laurie and Chris said...

OMG!! What the heck is wrong with people? I'm glad everyone is ok. That kind of stuff is only supposed to happen in the movies.

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Yikes! Very scary. I had something similar happen when I lived in Toronto many years ago. My husband and I bought a semi-detached home to renovate and flip in an area in "transition." My husband and I woke up one night to the sound of bullhorns and our bedroom was completely lit up with flood lights. We peeked out and saw our home (and neighbors side of the duplex) was completely surrounded. You jump out of bed quickly that is for sure!

I agree the dog saved him. No nonsense police dogs tend to solve problems quickly. Hope he was wearing a vest too! Karen